“Life is music – Music is life”
Yes ! this is what Shamik believes and preaches.
A born Gemini (16th June). His musical journey began at a very tender age of six, when he, for the first time sat beside his mother, a disciple of Smt. Suchitra Mitra (one of the most renowned Rabindra Sangeet singer of this genre) on the harmonium.
No! His intention was not to take lessons from his mother but to disturb and irritate her and stop her from practicing. Though initially he refused to sing or take musical lessons from anybody including his mother, he actually started taking classical training from his first guru, Sri Tapan Mukhopadhyay (disciple of Sri Sukhendu Goswami) when he was in class four. That was the beginning of his actual musical journey.
He then completed Senior Diploma in Nazrul Geeti from Sarbo Bharotiyo Sangeet O Sanskritik Parisad ( Govt. of West Bengal ) with a first class distinction. Later on he received training in different fields and subjects of music. His gurus were:
- Sri. Tapan Mukhopadhyay (Classical & Nazrul Geeti)
- Smt. Sriparna Bhattacharaya (Sister of Banani Ghosh)(Rabindra Sangeet)
- Sri. Gour Bhaduri (Light Classical & Modern Bengali Songs)
- Smt. Archana Sengupta (Light Classical, Nazrul Geeti & Modern Bengali Songs)
Achievements as a singer / composer
a) Played back in Bengali feature film NISHI BHOR at the age of 14 with Manna Dey and Arati Mukhopadhyay
b) Seven solo albums of self composed & written songs released by HMV (4 albums), Prime Music (3 albums)
c) Composed & Played back in several popular TV soaps like:
- Barishaler Bor Kolkatar Koney (ETV)
- Labanyer Sansar (ZeeTV)
- Rani Kahini (ZeeTV, sung by Indranil Sen)
- Rojgere Korta (ETV, sung by Lopamudra Mitra)
- Bir Boudi (Akash Bangla, sung by Lopamudra Mitra)
- Mangal Ekai Eksho (ETV, duet with Rupakar)
- Surela Bouthan (Tara Music, sung by Sampa Kundu)
- Footballya (Akash Bangla)
- Bata Betir Battle (ETV)
- Lakhi Elo Gharey ( Akash Bangla)
- Shobinoy Nibedon ( Sananda TV)
- Kolir Gopal Bhar (Rupashi Bangla TV)
- Prempatra (Tara Music, Subhamita & Rupankar)
- Chhuti (Tara Music)
- Stove ( Tara Music)
e) Composed and sung various jingles for corporate clients like:
- Keo Karpin
- Priya Marrie (Featuring Prosenjit as the model)
- Bisk Farm (sung more than 50 jingles in various regional languages)
- PRAN a big brand of Bangladesh having products like candies, potato chips, cold drinks, bicuits, fruit juice etc...
f) composed and written songs for basic (Puja) albums for:
- Indranil Sen
- Arundhuti Homchoudhury
- Shampa Kundu
- Raghav Chattopadhyay (a private Album)
- Saikat Mitra
- Monomay Bhattacharya
- Anasua Choudhury
- Subhankar Bhaskar
- Goutam Ghosal
- Nipobithi Ghosh
g) Music Direction in Bengali feature films :
- Jeena - Directed by Sanghamitra Choudhury
- Bhalobashar Cross connection - Directed by Partho Ghosh of AgniSakshi fame
- Ajob Prem Ebong... - Directed by Arindam Dey
- Chup - Directed by Bishnu Dutta
- Goenda Gogol - Directed by Arindam Dey ( Yet to be released)
i) Playback in Films :
- Prem By Chance (music by Rupankar)
- Shukna Lanka ( music by Debojyoti Mishra)
- Raatbhor ( music by Nachiketa)
- Bhooter Bhobishyot ( music Raja Narayan Deb)
- Baluka Bela.com ( music by Raja Narayan Deb)
- Performed in USA during Durga Puja 2008 at Dallas, Boston, Los Angeles, Indianapolis,San Jose
- Performed in Dubai in the year 2010 and 2011 on the occassion of bengali new year.
- Done more than 1200 shows all over West Bengal and India ( Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore,Hyderabad, Assam, Bihar,Bhilai).
- Shared the stage with eminent singers like, Usha Uthup, Kumar Sanu, Shaan, Babul Supriyo, Sunidhi Chouhan, Vinod Rathor, Indranil Sen, Nachiketa, Srikanto Acharya, Indrani Sen, Lopamudra Mitra, Arundhuti Homchoudhury, Pratik Choudhury, Rupankar, Raghav Chatterjee, Shampa Kundu, Jojo & with major bands like, Indian Ocean, Bhoomi, Cactus, Fossils, Chandrabindu, Lakhichara, etc.
- Received many awards including, Uttam Kumar Award for the best album ‘Lagle Bolo’ in the year 2006.